Are Orchids Poisonous To Dogs - Orchid Resource Center

Are Orchids Poisonous To Dogs

Are Orchids Poisonous To Dogs

Luckily, if you’re frantically searching the web for the toxicity of an orchid because your beloved Fido decided to snack on yours, you can stop stressing now. Orchids are not poisonous to your pooch, so you can take a deep breath now.

Are Orchids Dangerous For Dogs?

While Orchids are not poisonous for your animals, you should still take care with keeping your orchids away from your pets. For smaller dogs especially, any part of a plant can cause stomach upset or blockages in the digestive system. If you’re ever concerned about a potential blockage caused by a plant, you should always consult your veterinarian.

Are Blue Orchids Safe For Dogs

Yes, blue orchids are safe for dogs. There are no toxic components in these flowers that would cause harm to your furry friend. In fact, the vast majority of orchids are not poisonous to animals at all. However, there are a few species that can be mildly irritating if ingested, so it’s always best to err on the side of caution and keep them out of reach of curious pups.

Are Orchid Leaves Toxic

No part of an orchid is toxic to animals. As mentioned above, it’s never a good idea to allow your pet to get in the habit of chewing on houseplants, but if they happen to get ahold of your orchid’s leaves, it is not toxic to them. It may still irritate their digestive system, but orchid leaves are not toxic.

Can Puppies eat Orchids

No, puppies cannot eat orchids. Orchids are not poisonous to dogs, but they can cause an upset stomach if ingested. If your puppy ingests an orchid, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Plants That Are Toxic For Dogs

There are hundreds of plants that are toxic for dogs, cats, and other animals. The list below is not an exhaustive list, it’s simply a list of the more common houseplants that should not be within reach of your precious pooch. Please research the type of plant you have, so you know for certain whether it is toxic for your animals or not. Here are some of the more common houseplants that are toxic to dogs.

Any type of Lily

This includes the common flower arrangement lilies, as well as peace lilies, lily of the valley, and more. If the flower is a lily, it’s best to assume that it is toxic to animals.


All varieties of pothos plants are toxic to dogs, cats, and other animals. Every part of the pothos plant is toxic.


Every variety of rhododendron is toxic to dogs, even the beautiful flame azalea.

Sago Palm

The Sago Palm is a very popular indoor plant, but it is also toxic to dogs.

Additional plants that are toxic to dogs include:

  • Oleander
  • Iris
  • Tulip
  • Mums
  • Dieffenbachia
  • And more

Again, this list is not extensive, and you should always check your specific plant’s toxicity before placing it somewhere in your home that your animals can get to.

What Makes Plants Unsafe For Dogs

There are a few things that make plants unsafe for dogs. Some plants contain toxic compounds that can make your dog sick or even kill them. Others may be poisonous if touched or eaten. Some plants also release toxins into the air, which can cause respiratory problems for your dog. The most common reason a houseplant is toxic to dogs is because they contain calcium oxalate crystals.

Calcium Oxalate Crystals

Calcium oxalate crystals are a type of salt that can form in the body when calcium and oxalic acid combine. They’re usually found in the kidney and bladder, but they can also occur in other tissues.

While they’re not always harmful, calcium oxalate crystals can become problematic if they grow too large or if there’s an abundance of them. If these crystals enter the urinary tract, they can cause irritation and even blockages. Additionally, if calcium oxalate crystals build up in the kidney, they can lead to kidney stones.

While most dogs won’t experience any health problems from calcium oxalate crystals, some may be more susceptible to their formation due to genetics or underlying medical conditions.

What Part Of A Plant Contains Calcium Oxalate Crystals

Calcium oxalate crystals are found in the leaves, stems, and flowers of many plants. They are also found in the fruit of some plants, such as tomatoes. These crystals can be very sharp, and if a dog ingests them, they can cause damage to the mouth, throat, and digestive tract. In severe cases, calcium oxalate poisoning can be fatal.

Symptoms Of Calcium Oxalate Crystal Poisoning

As most dog owners know, dogs are notorious for eating things they shouldn’t. This can often lead to them ingesting calcium oxalate crystals, which could in turn cause them to show several of the symptoms listed here.

  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling or drooling with blood
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Pale gums
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

If you suspect your dog has ingested any plant material containing calcium oxalate crystals, it is important to seek professional veterinary care immediately.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned 

If your dog has ingested calcium oxalate, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. If you have the means to do so, take your dog to the vet or emergency animal hospital right away. If you cannot get to a professional right away, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435.

When speaking with the APCC or a vet, be sure to have the following information ready:

  • Your dog’s breed, age, sex, weight, and any other relevant medical history
  • What kind of plant your dog ingested (if known)
  • When your dog ingested the plant
  • How much of the plant your dog ingested
  • Whether your dog is showing any symptoms

Based on this information, the APCC or vet will be able to provide guidance on what to do next. In some cases, they may recommend bringing your dog in for observation and treatment. In other cases, they may advise you to watch for certain symptoms and contact them again if they occur. Either way, it is important that you follow their instructions carefully.

How to Prevent Dogs Eating Plants

Depending on your dog, it may not be as simple of a job as you think to keep them from eating your houseplants. Some dogs are just more determined to chomp your greenery than others are. Regardless of your dog’s personality, there are some things you can do to prevent them from eating your plants.

Keep Plants Out Of Reach

With any houseplant in your home, it’s important to keep them out of reach of your dog. While some plants are not poisonous to dogs, they can cause stomach upset if ingested, or even intestinal blockages.

Dog Deterrents

There are a variety of ways to keep dogs away from your orchids, including:

– Citrus: Dogs dislike the smell of citrus, so you can use lemon or orange peels as a natural deterrent.

– Coffee grounds: Another option is to spread coffee grounds around your plants. The scent will usually be off-putting to dogs and won’t harm your plants. Coffee grounds are actually a decent source of minerals that will act as a fertilizer and help your plants grow!

– Commercial products: There are also many commercial products available that are designed to deter dogs, such as sprays and granules. Read the labels and make sure any commercial products you use are safe for indoor plants.

Providing A Distraction

If your dog seems interested in your houseplants, provide a distraction. Give your dog a toy to play with or take him for a walk. By providing a distraction, you can help keep your dog away from your orchid and prevent him from getting hurt.

Many times, a simple distraction will not deter your pet for long. None of these methods are meant as a fix-all, and are not a substitute for proper training. If your dog still insists on going after your houseplants, a consultation with a certified dog trainer may help you take care of the problem more permanently.

Are Orchids Poisonous To Dogs Final Thoughts

As we’ve seen, the answer to the question “Are orchids poisonous to dogs?” is a resounding “No!” Orchids are not poisonous to dogs, and in fact, they can make a beautiful and unique addition to your home. Just be sure to keep them out of reach of your furry friend, as they can be harmful if ingested.

If you have any further questions about whether or not orchids are safe for your dog, be sure to consult with your veterinarian. They will be able to give you the most accurate information so you can create a healthy and happy home for both you and your pet!

Join Our Orchid Care Facebook Community

In our Facebook group of orchid lovers, we’re dedicated to creating a rich and engaging environment where plant lovers can come together and share tips, tricks, and experiences.  

If you’re an orchid lover, come join our Facebook community! We can’t wait to celebrate your successes and help you troubleshoot your care routine. 

For continued success, you can explore our other articles or visit our online shop for plant care products that are sure to keep your plants boasting rich green leaves and big, bountiful blooms year-round.

Orchid Care Bundle

Save 15%

Grow beautiful plants

Buy Now

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


We Are an Amazon Certified Small Business!

We are an Amazon Certified Small Business! Small businesses are the backbone of the US economy; they create jobs and drive innovation. We appreciate YOU helping small businesses on Amazon!

div#stuning-header .dfd-stuning-header-bg-container {background-image: url(;background-size: initial;background-position: center center;background-attachment: initial;background-repeat: no-repeat;}#stuning-header {min-height: 100px;}

Thank You!

Get it on Amazon with this Code


SAVE 25%

ON Premium Orchid Food NOW!


Are You Starving Your Orchid?
Orchid Resource Center

Orchid Resource Center

Are You Starving Your Orchid?